Sep 7, 2007

fall a frenzy


I realized the other day that it has been a long time since Sasha has had a real play date. aside from family vacations the poor thing has had a lot of fun on the picket line...but at least she's not alone! Many of her buddies have been hanging out on the picket line too...like her best buddy Merlin :)

Gilly and I are determined to rectify that as soon as we get some stability to our schedules again...

this is a huge limbo period right now which has been a roller coaster for us...we know we'll be just fine with a little help from family & friends (gratitude for all the positive energy we've received!!) but have to admit I had a few days where the weight of so much to do and all the limbo time really hit hard...

then Sasha hit me hard with a headbutt in the nose and cracked it (still hurts 2 weeks later!) which I thought was the icing on the cake.

at this low point I then received through my email network a great little gift...a link to a preview of the movie "the Shift" www.theshiftmovie.com

goosebumps and hope abounded after watching the 6 minute gem...so the video clip and an absolutely fabulous weekend on Saturna Island for Elaine & Gord's wedding (really really really amazing weekend!!!!!!!) ...a great time with new friends, time in a beautiful environment...think I gained a few pounds from all the amazing food...but I also conquered my fears sleeping alone outside in my tent...joy! gave me just the boost I needed to get our family through this crazy time :)

while I was off indulging on the island Mark and Sasha spent time with Penny (here with Sasha doing what she has come to love best - storytime!)- escaping from the landlord doing small renovations to the kitchen and back hallway before the first open house.

Granma also came through for us to have an evening off together on Saturday to enjoy a benefit concert for the CUPE 391 hardship funds (have to give more props to 391 who are doing a fantastic job on keeping spirits up and being creative during this strike!! they rock! check out the website and watch the cool videos being done by James and Darcy! www.cupe391.org) - and an opportunity to see Circus in Flames again! this is significant to my 10 years in vancouver as the first time I saw them was shortly after moving here! great local band, lots of fun...too bad my head hurt too badly to dance...

because that was the same day I smashed my head on a concrete planter at Brit and am now suffering from another concussion...number 12 for those of you have lost track over the years ;)

so I still have positive energy (gonna take a while for the glow from our road trips, Saturna & great music we've seen recently to wear off of me) but now I can't think straight at all...brain is kinda spongy still!

potential light at the end of the tunnel...our unions are both at the table with the employer (city of vancouver) this week - will they actually 'talk'? will the cynics be right that we'll be out for a long time? or the hopeful ranks that think we might be back next week?...and a 'sold' sticker has been put on the sign on our lawn -who is the new owner? and what do they have in store for us?...so by the weekend I'll have another update on the work and home front.

one of these days we'll be settled in our home, be back on the job and I'll eventually start my job share (yay!), and our child care will be organized...and maybe then i'll have time to write about all the fun stuff again ;)

below are a few pics from my wonder-full getaway!

and if you have a moment I recommend you check out "the shift" and give yourself a positive boost too...doesn't everyone need it at this time of year? teehee


I met so many great people and had so many great moments...here are just a few highlights:

my road trip buddies: Megan, Judy and Bonnie...women weekend warriors! that is the Saturna Island ferry dock behind us :)


when you arrive on the island you see a sign "Deer - any road at any time"...very true. during the reception we even had a family of deer pass in the field behind the B&B - ridiculously romantic moment that reception...actually all of it!


first of all, this is ravenswood, the house where I stayed with 7 other fabu folks from all over the place. (this shot is from my tent...which I chose to sleep in having brought all the gear)

the wedding took place on the eastern most tip of the island...here are 3 of my housemates heading to the point: Teresa, Jackie and Judy (myself, Jackie and Judy were moms on the loose and had some good bonding and relaxation time together). they were visiting from New York, Nelson and Japan!

here comes the bride...cue the cello...and Elaine and Gord on top of the world together at the tip of the island :)




Gord with 3 more of my housemates: Karin & Ernst - married 50 years next fall and always the last to leave a party, and Patricia (their daughter and Elaine's close friend) who comes by being a wild child naturally...a family that was soooooooo much fun to hang out with! ;)


Javier, visiting from LA was a great character and just about one of the most thoughtful guys I've ever met!...and he got some pretty bad pics of me that I wish I could destroy - lol



some of my favorite ladies from Brit were there too! Here's me and Pat, my guitar mentor for songs of solidarity :)





me with Leslie and Tara...and can't forget Mary! are you relaxed yet? ;)




I know it's blurry...but don't these stars look familiar to some of you?! I taught Elaine how to make them (on the picket line) for her visionary ballroom design...can't believe I didn't think of using them for my own wedding!



Kathy...deep breath and moment of reflection before going home...and ready to take on the world again ;)

No comments: