May 29, 2009

relay for life

On Friday I joined the Britannia Wranglers Team at the Canadian Cancer Society's Relay for Life.

Here is our happy team...proud to be there and loving the beautiful people and environment around us. :)

"Celebrate. Remember. Fight Back."

For everyone I know who has survived cancer, for everyone I know who hasn't. Young and old I have seen people show such incredible strength and determination not to give in...and I have always wanted to do something for all of these people I know who've been touched by cancer in some way. This cause has touched us all...and will continue to do so for some time to come.

With my daughter's generation facing more than 1 in 2 chance of developing a cancer in their lifetime, I've become passionate not only about finding cures where we can...but also changing the facets of our world that produce many of the things that cause cancer to begin with. Why do we continue to build a society that makes us so sick?

Well, in my mind community building events can create positive change to the toxicity...and that was why I finally committed to be a participant in the Relay for Life! An event that not only raises much needed funds, but also builds community for those who will be there - survivors, caregivers and supporters.

My best pics from the wonderful event at Hastings Raceway (we walked around the new pier that was built around the pond in the middle of the raceway. nice walk aside from all the goose poop!): "ok, we've arrived...now where is team leader Dianna?"; found her...now gather up all our cash! Elaine and Michelle were our superstar fundraisers - awesome job ladies!; Robert came prepared with rubber gloves (well, ya work in childcare you learn to be prepared, hehe) and cleaned up a patch of grass for us all to sit safely upon poop free; some of the crowd listening to the speakers; the survivors starting the first lap around the boardwalk; Michelle and Robert; me, Leslie and Gail; Dianna and her niece; a baby goose; and Gail...who Sasha loves to cuddle with at her daycare which makes me about the happiest mom ever! Squish :)

Next year I'm making everyone camp out with me! I was super jealous of those tenting for the night...



No comments: