Jul 2, 2009

i am canadian

Now tell me...is this the face of a child who is happy to be in a bouncy castle? Poor girl. Sasha wasn't feeling quite herself on Canada Day, and when we first arrived she just wanted to putter with sand on the slide and sit quiely for a bit.

Our destination on the 1st was Kensington Community Centre for another turn as the emcee for the days festivities. I love the opportunity to catch up with my friends and neighbours from our old neighbourhood, and after some hot dogs, and the presence of more and more children, Sasha eventually perked up and had a bunch of fun before heading home with Mark for nap time.

Another day full of entertainment between local musical talent, performances showcasing the talent of community members enroled in programs such as dance, martial arts and capoeira, and clowns to engage the little ones in some fun and magic. A giant new grill for Jack and Brad to grill their dogs, and volunteers aplenty helping to create another amazing day for those who came out for the sunshine.









This year we had visits from all of the local politicians as well. Stuart Mackinnon and Raj Hundal represented the park board commissioners, Don Davies the area MP and Mable Elmore who is the local MLA all had their quick turn at the mic between performances and shmoozed with the crowd as well. Not a relaxing day for politicians (if ever there are any) as each of them I spoke with were on their 2nd event of the day at least, and on their way to another...and another. Hope they were all still smiling by the end of the day, hehe.


As the day progressed the crowds grew and this year turned out to be the biggest so far! Along with the BBQ goods, there was arts & crafts, facepainting, parachute games, an activity with the scouts and pottery for kids. Plus the beautiful pottery items made by the pottery club that are always a nice to splurge on.







Of course no Canada Day would be complete without singing our national anthem (Banita was a little girl when I met her and now she is a beautiful young lady with the voice of an angel. not just a biased opinion...really really lovely job singing!!) and eating yummy cake! Happy birthday to our country, which I believe to be one of the best places on earth. I have the luck to have been born here, and despite all the things we could keep improving upon as a nation (I know, the list is long), I am always aware of the luxory I have as a citizen raised here and feel fortunate that Sasha will grow up here as well :)

The staff, board members and other volunteers really work hard to make Canada Day a great festival event and I think I have the easy job - show up and talk a lot. lol! I actually have come to realize that I'm rather good at keeping things running on time, and winging it when things go awry (as is prone to happen with community events from time to time, hehe) all while keeping the folks entertained in between. I am very much full of gratitude to everyone who helped me to identify many strengths I never knew I had 'til they made me try them out - such as emceeing...I did it once and they dubbed me their mc for life they liked it so much! Great confidence booster ;P

After 4 years as the Kensington emcee I may pass the mic on to a new host next year. I love it, and am sure i'll have some strong persuasion tactics from Dianna, Brad, Virginia and Bev who have kept me coming back so far (i love 'em for their faith in me)...but I'm longing to take the things I learned in that community - helping out at Che's school, organizing events in the local park with my neighbours and as an association board member at our local centre - and find ways to get more involved in our new community. (Aside from our time spent within our co-op) And our new neighbourhood has many events that I'd like to get involved with...perhaps even emcee some too.

For this year, it sure was good to be back among friends...and I'll see them again later in the month when I get to emcee the Jones park family fun day :D

No comments: