Apr 15, 2012

school daze

This was taken last September on Sasha's first day of kindergarten as we walked to school with a couple of our friendly neighbours. Orion is her bestie, and I'm happy his mom Keely is a friend of mine as well. At this point, he is also the boy she wants to marry. When she's not declaring she's done with him.  ;)

A lot has changed since my last post just before her 4th birthday, while many things have stayed the same. I have started many posts but never finished any of them. They may start appearing as tales buried in the past, and only those of you who really want to find the hidden treasure will.

But honestly, there are so many things to share from the past 2 years I will likely never get around to that. I'm focusing on the future and all that lays ahead now that Sasha has begun her public school experience. I have a whole post worth of thoughts to share on her time at Mt Pleasant Elementary so far, but for now I want you to know that we couldn't have found a better teacher for her if we tried, and all the parents and staff we have met have been great! It is really an awesome neighbourhood school. :)

I need to pinch myself every day when I get overwhelmed by my gratitude for the uber community we have been able to find within our co-op, her school and beyond. You can tell when I start gushing that I'm full of things to say...so I'll leave it with - I'm thankful.

If you ever want to hear about the year I worked a wig shop, the Tourism Challenge epic urban hikes and family adventures of 2010 and 2011, our Circle Farm tours around the lower mainland every summer, adventures with Oma, and life in general over this lost time period with our Whittam clan...well, give me a call, drop me a line, invite us for a meal, and we can regale each other with stories galore.

This year is another bound to be full of adventure, and I'm also back into writing mode with many hats to share perspectives from. This blog is for all my rants, raves and ponderings that don't fit into my writing for the Educate Me Documentary Project (launching our new social media campaign soon) and my new role as the Britannia Green Team Co-ordinator. Still juggling some auxilary hours as cashier/clerical staff and at the museum so there is never a dull moment in my work life with every day holding something different.

Education and all things green continue to consume my thinking and therefore these thoughts are likely to make frequent guest appearances here. Just part of who I am. But this blog is mainly for reflections on family adventures, community a plenty, creative tangents. We are a family that loves to explore our local world and that introduces us to many things that get me thinking...so I have lots of things I want to write about that simply don't fit elsewhere.

Katmar Baby is really about entertaining the friends and family who love us warts and all (well, we don't actually have any warts at this point, but we certainly aren't perfect...nor do we want to be). Some of you have pestered me to come back to this creative writing outlet because you miss my written ramblings.

I hope you handful of fabulous encouraging folks (and mom, of course) enjoy. ;)

No comments: